How To Remove Mold From Wood? Lear More Here

It is common to grow fungus on wood as it has the nature to absorb water. And fungus, therefore, has the nature to affect human health, so it needs to be treated at first check that is the fungus treatable or not. If it is, then prepare the treating area first by vacuuming. Prepare yourself as well with safety protection like gloves, mask etc.

The primary tactic to clean the nasty fungus is the use of soapy water or the vinegar if the wood is painted/ stained. Make the use of bleach or any sandpaper, in case the wood is raw.

Remove Mold From Wood

The last step after cleaning the wood fungus is to dry and vacuum the area along with keeping it well-ventilated. This step will defence future fungus.

So, let’s get to the following steps of how to remove mold from wood.

​Learn how to remove mold from wood- 2020 updated

You will eventually need:

  • ​For preparation: Gloves, Air mask, vacuum cleaner having HEPA filter & safety goggles.
  • For stained wood treatment: Detergent (dishwashing), bucket, rags, vinegar, soft-bristled brush, & spraying bottle.
  • For raw wood treatment: Bleach, sander, stiff-bristled brush, & sandpaper.
  • For drying & prevention: Dehumidifier/ fan, fungicidal paint/ sealant.

Preparation for the area:

Check the area

First, you need to look for a place of mold that is smaller than an area of 10 sq. Ft. or 0.93 sq. m. The reason to go for a smaller area is that it will be easy or treatable only by your effort. Where else if the area is comparatively larger than that, then you need the help of professional cleaners.

Take help of your search engine to find any professional fungus-remediation.

Preparing yourself

Wear your safety materials that are the mask, gloves and goggles. Fungus mainly causes inhalation problem by entering your nasal system. So, wear the air mask to avoid mold spores. In the case of using bleach, the protective outwear will protect your dress from getting stained.

If you inhale the spore by any chance, your health can show some symptoms like coughing, skin irritation, eye irritation, or throat irritation.

Important point: Black fungi are more of danger than you think. In case you are dealing with black molds, any skipping safety step can cause a great disaster. It's better to call for professionals if that's the case.

For indoor molds

Vacuuming will help if the mold is indoors. Use a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner for collecting mildew particles. Along with those small mildew particles, target the vacuum cleaner at debris, loose spores & dust as well.

The soft brush of the vacuum cleaner can get rid of the wood furniture mildew. So, vacuum all the crevices, drawers & panels.

Clean your cleaner canister or bag outdoors. Don't let it throw openly in the environment. Tie the fungus up in a bag and dispose of straight away.

Also Learn: ​​​​Removing Water Stains From Wood

​Treating the painted/stained wood:

The mixture preparation

Make a mixture using dishwashing detergent of 14.9 ml, i.e., one tablespoon & warm water of 1 L or 0.26 US gal.

Stir the mixture until perfect blending.

Many people choose a commercial cleaner, and you can choose one too. The products contain ammonia for wood penetration and killing mildew.

Soapy water tactic

Prepare soapy water in a bucket. Using a soft-bristled brush, transfer the water to the mildew. Scrub the mildew area thoroughly to lift it. Continue the process of dipping the brush and acting on the mildew until it’s gone.

Avoid the area that hasn’t caught fungus or else; the mold spore will terrifyingly spread all over the wood surface.

Don’t use excess water as moisture is the main reason for the parasite to grow.

Drying

Wipe out the area again with a clean rag for ensuring the absence of any extra fungus and for making the wood dry as well.

Alternative tactic

If the soapy water doesn’t seem to work, then use vinegar instead. Pour undiluted vinegar in a spraying bottle for spraying it all over the fungus areas. Then wait for an hour for the liquid to react. After an hour, you are free to wipe out the liquid along with the mold. Use a damp rag and gloves for the job.

There you could find the vinegar smelly, and many of you don’t like it either. But don’t worry, it will be gone with time when it dries.

Read Also: ​​​​Learn More About Wood Joints

Treating the raw wood:

Preparing the treating mixture

Here you will make a mixture of dish washing detergent, bleach and hot water. In 1 L of warm water, i.e., in 0.26 US gal of water, you will take detergent of 50 ml, i.e., 1.7 (fl. Oz.) & bleach of 500 ml, i.e., 0.13 US gal. Blend the mixture thoroughly after wearing your protective outfit for cloth protection.

Bleach solution tactic

This step is more like the soapy water one. Use a stiff-bristled brush for dipping it on the bleach solution and scrubbing it back-&-forth on the parasite. Once the treatment is successful, don’t forget to dry the wood out.

A scrub sponge can be your alternative to stiff-bristled brush.

Alternative tactic instead

Sanding over the fungus area is a good tactic. So, use fine-grit sandpaper to wipe out the mildew if the bleach solution doesn’t work.

Sanding is a dry process where the mildew will lift off and get mixed with air. For avoiding the inhalation disaster, wear the air mask.

Learn More About:​​​​ Wood Flooring Types

​Drying the treated wood and prevention for future mildew:

Use of a dehumidifier/ a fan

You almost used some liquid application method to get rid of the mold. But at once it has born from moisture. Now, if you are letting the washed wood in such moisture, then, aren’t you making way for future mold?

Make use of a fan or a dehumidifier for drying the wet wood for three days in a row.

Call for professional if you notice the return of mildew again after three days.

Vacuuming

The vacuum cleaner can thoroughly remove the loose mildew or mildew spores. So, use the one having a HEPA filter. Wash the canister outdoors.

After tiding up the waste, you need to vacuum again as the fungus is likely to spread while cleaning.

Prevention

Go through the application of a sealant or a fungicidal paint for future prevention of parasite growth. A fungicidal seal is of great benefit if you doubt about the mildew return. Your product must have the application label.

Like mildew can’t grow from inside a plastic bag, the paint or the sealant will act the same to defence the growth of hidden fungus spore.

Well-ventilation

Moisture, as well as damp areas, are the reason behind fungus. So, make sure of well-ventilation and humidity below 40%. You can also use a dehumidifier for the process.

The kitchens & washrooms are more likely to be damped or moisture area. So, the step suits these places well.

Warning:

Immediate action after noticing the parasite is a must. Don’t wait for later or let it be out of laziness. The mold won’t stay the same. The way it had born, it will spray wider as well.

Stay away from the mildews in any case you are having health condition related to the fungus-like- asthma or having immune-system disorder. Take the help of the professionals instead.

Also Learn: ​​​​Tips On Weathering Wood

​Termination:

​It is obligatory to know the ways for how to remove mold from wood as it is the most common phenomenon and the dangerous one at the same time. I hope to help you out enough with the exact information in this article. So, don’t take the mold easily and act immediately

Mark Steven
 

Hello Everybody!! I'm Mark Steven. I've been working with wood Furniture for 15 years, still, now I'm reached and making different types of furniture.This woodentips.com is my Professional blog, from now here I'm going to share tips & tricks about various types of wooden furniture.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: